When our baby was still a baby
I get asked a lot of the same questions. Reading the answers to them will help you get to know me quickly.
Does psychowith6 mean that you’re a psychologist with six kids or that your kids are making you psycho?
Are they all yours?
No, they belong to God and my husband is half responsible.
No, though during several pregnancies, I looked like I was having more than one.
Six kids…don’t you know what causes that?
Yes, and my husband and I like it more than watching TV.*
You only have one girl. Is she a tomboy?
Not at all, except she has a mean right hook.
What does your husband do?
Whatever he wants. He also sells library books to schools.
Do you still have a counseling practice?
No, I get all the practice I need with my family.
Don’t you feel you’re wasting your education?
If you knew my kids well, you’d realize a Ph.D. is required to raise them.
How do you do it?
I could tell you, but I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t approve.
Why do you keep changing websites?
I have BADD–Blogging Attention Deficit Disorder. Help me out by commenting to keep my attention.
*Credit goes to the Lowe family for this answer.
I was blogging when blogging wasn’t cool.
I started on AOL Journals. If that doesn’t date me, I don’t know what does. I wrote a little on Blogger, then moved to psychowith6.typepad.com when my friend, Barbie, who is much hipper than I am convinced me to give it a try. I enjoyed writing for friends and family in a style that has become the stuff of Facebook today.
When I published So You’re Not Wonder Woman, the book based on my popular talk by the same title, I felt I needed a corresponding website. Wonderwomen.typepad.com was born. I began writing “professional” posts for wonderwomen, saving my personal stories for psychowith6.
My blogging friends and I started communicating on Facebook and posted inconsistently. When another good friend of mine, Deb of CountingYourBlessings, became enamored with blogging, I returned to writing and started motivatedhomeschooler.com. I lost interest in both blogs again until Deb invited me to a SITS Girls Blogging conference. In advance of that, I moved wonderwomen.typepad.com to NotWonderWoman.com on WordPress.
I’ve been very motivated to blog since then, but realized that keeping up with more than one blog with my large family, homeschooling, and other hobbies just isn’t feasible. Deb suggested I return to psychowith6.com and combine everything I’ve been doing into just one blog. So here I am and here you are and God only knows where we’ll go! But I’m glad you’re along for the ride.
Please read the About page to learn more about me and my family.
Then check out the Best Of page to read the best posts from all three former blogs.
If you find something you like, check out Why You Should Follow Me, and leave me a comment. I’m crazy about them!
Finally, I want to be honest with you about some of the links on this site. Some of them are affiliate links. That means that if you click them and buy the products they’re connected to, I will be paid a small commission. To date, I have not made a penny on affiliate links. So if you’re worried that your clicks will help buy me a second home in the Bahamas, rest assured. They won’t.
My husband and I on a fall hike
The Bible says, “Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly” (James 3:1).
I take my role as an online teacher seriously. Before you decide to follow me on social media, read what I write, or listen to what I have to say, I want you to know that I am a woman who seeks to respect authority–my husband’s, church’s, and God’s as revealed in His Word. You should also know that despite having a Ph.D., I can be really, really dumb. My good friends will deny it, but my mother and husband will tell you the truth! Anything I say should be checked against the authorities in your life. I’ve been wrong before and I will be wrong again.
Despite the risks of being a teacher (for both of us), my heart’s desire is to share what is valuable in my own journey as a wife, mother, home educator, child of God, and psychologist. I’m blogging because I love to write, but also because I love people. I’ve met some of my dearest friends online and I’d love to add you to my list!
Social media can be very confusing if you’re new to it. Here’s what you can expect if you follow me online.
If you’d like to:
- See significant change in your life and you’re already reading the Bible, I suggest you read my book, So You’re Not Wonder Woman. In it, I share the dramatic changes God created in me in every area of my life that my Ph.D. in psychology failed to make. All proceeds from the book benefit charity and missions. It’s free for Kindle Prime members and I regularly make it free to other Kindle owners. I’ll keep you posted!
- Get help in specific areas, click the categories right below the large photo on the home page, or enter something in the search box at the top right of the home page. The categories are pretty self-explanatory, except that parenting is listed under both homemaking and homeschooling, hobbies includes posts on blogging/writing, psychology and relationships are under health, and the hope category is anything to do with faith. I could put just about everything in the hope category, but I’ve stuck with posts that are more devotional in nature.
- Read my posts in a reader or via e-mail, click here. I use Google Reader and Flipboard on my iPad to keep up with my blog reading, which is like having a custom-made magazine. If you’d like to check out the blogs I read, see my blogroll at the bottom of the home page. Just know that I have a hard enough time controlling what I write. I can’t moderate others’ blogs, so use your own judgment in reading and subscribing.
- Read my posts and other information I recommend on Facebook, click here and then click Like on the right. You’ll also be able to share content with me and other community members.
- Read other great blog posts I recommend on the topics I cover, follow me on Twitter here and then click Follow. This is also a great way to share blog posts with me that you think my followers would enjoy.
- Receive my meal planning ebook, join the mailing list. Enter your email address and click subscribe. The-Once-and-for-All Meal Plan ebook that will save you money, time, and stress.
- Be notified when I’ve produced a new video, click here to subscribe to my videos on YouTube.
- Get recipes I use from AllRecipes, click here.
- See what I’m reading, add me to your GoodReads list here.
- See photos of products I love, recipes I want to try, crafts I want to make and more, follow me on Pinterest here.
- Connect with me and others who share similar interests, add me to your circles on Google Plus by clicking here.
- Learn more about what it means to be a Christian, check out this excellent resource:
- Have someone pray for your needs consistently, enter your request at PrayforYou.org. I am one of the pray-ers.
- Discuss something privately, please complete the form below.
- Give me lots and lots of money, here’s my Swiss bank account. Just checking to see if you’re paying attention!
Thank you so much for checking out Psychowith6. Giving a blogger your time is the best compliment. God bless your day!